Monday, February 22, 2010

A Sparrow Falls


So, sometimes I notice things that I think belong in my next blog post, but I have a tendency to forget them before I get back to my computer. Every once in a while, though, something will happen that reminds me of one of them—such a scenario happened just this morning. Perhaps it was because, as usual, I was running late to my first class. This time I was later than usual, and I'm pretty sure this was also true the day of the noticing, so maybe that was what triggered it. Anyways, it was just past eight and I was walking past Linfield Hall when the empty set of steps caught my eye. You wouldn't think that nothing would be able to grab your attention, but there was a certain empty space that hadn't always been there. You see, one day I was walking to class (running late) and saw a tiny, fluffed-up sparrow sitting on the step, looking miserable. I wanted to stop and see what was wrong with it, but as I mentioned before I was already late, so I continued past it, glancing backwards, and on my way to Howard Hall. Well, today I was reminded of that, and as I scurried once again towards Howard I wondered what had happened to that bird. It hadn't looked very healthy when I saw it. Perhaps, I pondered, the steps served as the carriage stop for the tiny thing's Demon Lover. Being female, and perhaps not as heartless as it sometimes seems that I am, I could only hope that it had gotten up and flown away, perhaps in search of Cinderella, but how high should my hopes have been, really? Sadly, I really have no way of finding out what happened. However, that might be for the best, for that means the ending is up to your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment