Friday, September 14, 2012

The Glistening Blue.

"Yet in every word he breathed was a meaning in line with the subtle principles of things, if only you thought of it deeply."

I've been thinking about synesthesia quite a bit lately. I had a project for another class in which I had to write using synesthesia, and it made me realize just how many of the turns of phrase we use are already synesthetic: things like hard stares, warm smiles, bright laughter. Those of you in the class (there are several) surely know what I'm talking about. I've always thought it was a particularly interesting concept, in part because my vision seems a particularly deficient sense. Not in the sense of blurriness (though I'm half blind without some sort of correction), but more in that there almost seems to be a disconnect between my eyes and brain; I can see and observe things but forget about them the instant that I look away - it is only when they are in my sight that I can see things.

Maybe I need to take oral traditions.

Anyway, I'm working on that whole turning-notes-into-a-poem thing, and you may see it today or you may not. This week has been a rather long and overwhelming one and I feel an early bedtime is in order tonight. I'll be lucky indeed if I can make it through the day without being eaten by a firecat.

No comments:

Post a Comment