Thursday, March 22, 2012

Catching Fire

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-Robert Frost

I do love this poem. It's probably in my list of top ten favorites somewhere. I think the comparison that he creates with fire and desire versus hate and ice is very intriguing. People's thoughts on how the world will end in general are quite interesting to me.

(Fun fact about the end of the world that's supposed to come in December: the Mayans didn't account for leap years, of which there have been more than 500 since then. If they'd gotten the date right the world would have ended five months ago. But then you probably already knew that.)

Plus lately I haven't been able to get this poem off my mind. I'd actually been thinking about it/read it the weekend before we talked about it in class, and when I went to start my latest design project I got stuck on the idea of fire and ice. Maybe when it's done I'll show you, but it's still taking shape. Or melting. Or what have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment